Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blog Assignment #6

The Networked Student
Wendy Drexler’s video The Networked Student is about a new way that students can learn in the 21st century. Instead of a regular class where the students use books, and teachers lecture every day, Wendy Drexler is showing us a completely different style learning. The students only meet three days a week and the rest is done online. Ms. Drexler’s main focus for her class is connectivism by using tools of technology to connect with others.

The teacher encourages the students to take control of their learning and to make new connections with others around the world to strengthen their learning process. The teacher teaches the students the correct way to access and validate information for its creditably. The video explains how the student uses blogs, Google scholar, and podcasts to deliver and receive information.

I can see why this would be a great experience for students to broaden their knowledge of learning, and in some classes I think it is a great idea, but I am more of a hands-on person. I would prefer to be in a class with my teacher, and as a teacher, I would rather be in the class with my students. I feel like it is important to create community in the classroom, and I also think that it is more beneficial for the students if they can interact with their teachers face to face. One of the main reasons why I chose to become a teacher is because I created bonds with certain teachers at my high school, and they inspired me because they truly loved their jobs. These are also some of the reasons that I believe it is important to have a teacher in the classroom. A teacher is there to help guide students and inspire them as well (especially in K-12), and in my opinion a student cannot get that over the internet.

A 7th Grader's PLE
”Symbaloo”
After watching the video A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)I decided to go to Symbaloo and create an account for myself! It is really helpful, and it makes everything more organized. Now all of the websites I use for school of for pleasure are just a click away with Symbaloo. This 7th grader's PLE resembles my PLN from EDM 310. Ours are both growing and becoming more detailed.

1 comment:

  1. This approach to education and learning requires even more work by teachers. Just ask Anthony Capps who is implementing a similar program in his 3rd grade class at Gulf Shore Elementary. In fact, this is being done throughout Baldwin County. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    ReplyDelete