Sunday, January 20, 2013

Blog Assignment #1

About Me
My name is Farrah Marie Deese, and I am 21 years old. I am from a very small town called Chatom, Alabama. I love going hunting and fishing and also going to the beach.I am a huge Alabama fan, and I love to go to football and softball games or watch them on tv with my family. My entire life I have always been involved in sports. In high school I played volleyball, softball, basketball, and I was a cheerleader. After high school, I went to Faulkner State Community College and played volleyball for two years, and then I transfered to USA. I decided to come to South because it was close to home.
My dad is in the military, and he is going to be going over seas in March. I have two brothers, and my younger sister, Ciara Deese, is also in this class with me. I am majoring in secondary education, and I hope to be teaching 11th and 12th grade english or history. My mother and my aunt were both english teachers at my high school, and many people think I chose to become a teacher to follow in their footsteps, but that is not the case. I have always wanted to be a teacher because I think it is the perfect job. I will get to provide kids with knowledge and help them get prepared for college, and I will get to coach softball and volleyball, and I will also get plenty of time to spend with my family.
My Teaching Environment
When I become a teacher I will be very nice but though. The students will respect me, but I also hope to earn their trust. I am going to a be very hands on teacher, and I am going to try and do everything I can in order for my students to be prepared for college.
My students are going to be about 16-18 years old because I hope to be teaching 11th and 12th grade english or history. They will listen to my instruction, and they will have to follow orders. They are going to learn by me teaching them and making sure they understand the material.
The county I am from is very rural, and our schools do not have alot of money. Therefore, our resources for my classroom will not be that great, but we may have smartboards to help teach our students with. My students will mostly be using regular books as their tools to learn.
My classroom is going to have about 30 students in it. I will have the wall painted a good color, and it will not look like a prison wall. I am going to create a safe environment for my classroom that will benefit my students.
Time Management
From watching the Randy Pausch video I learned some key steps in better managing my time. The first fact that I learned is to always have a plan. One should have a plan for everything. I also learned that it is ok to change your plan to better fit your needs, but you first have to have a plan in order to be able to change it. Planning things makes it easier for you to know what you are going to have to do in the future, and it also orginazes one's life and can cut down on one's stress.
Another thing I learned from watching the video is that you should always do your hardest task first. If you go ahead and get the worst part out of the way then you don't have to worry about it anymore, and you will be more eager to finish the rest of your work.

2 comments:

  1. "...nice but though." I think you meant tough. Correct?

    "... have alot of..." space needed between a and lot

    "...to help teach our students with." Omit with.

    Welcome to EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Farrah. We had that PE class together last semester. We have a lot in common. I love sports, went to Faulkner State, and I'm going to be a history teacher (if you decide to do history). It sounds like you have a great plan for teaching. I like the background for your blog, Roll Tide.

    ReplyDelete